Jamrock

AHA!
Non-sequitor comes to my aid again (this comic has definitely earned its place as my favorite since I encountered it three weeks ago) by reiterating my entire previous post with one brilliant comic strip. Comic bolstered by song underline some of the key things wrong with our society: lack of sufficient education and equal opportunity, a paucity replaced only by non-essential pop culture, where pop culture can be defined as aspiring to stardom or beeing reeled in by the "news". What is the answer to this waste and even decomposition of minds? Reading! Well, reading newspapers via the internet in an effort to gain a global and multi-perspective understanding of events.
Which brings me to my next topic: Books.
Today I became obsessed with books. Much to Michc's pleasure, I am sure, I decided to attempt to compile a list of all the books that I have read in my lifetime, or rather, those that I deem worthy to keep track of (i.e. I refuse to chronicle every R.L.Stine Goosebumps or Christopher Pike thriller, despite the fact that I still remember some of their plots). At last! A list of books I have read, and a list of those I want to read! And my blog, a place to point to and say, "Here. Here are the books I am currently engrossed in; here the books I am antsy to begin; here the books I recommend." Ah to amass all knowledge in me, how wonderful that would be. In a discussion with Marey and Beauford, I remembered my love of the poet e. e. cummings and subsequently found two poems he wrote that mimics some of the feelings I alluded to in the first paragraph:
Humanity i love you / because you would rather black the boots of sucess / than enquire whose soul dangles from his / watch-chain which would be embarassing for both / parties and because you / unflinchingly applaud all / songs containing the words country home and / mother when sung at the old howard / Humanity i love you because / when you're hard up you pawn your / intelligence to buy a drink and whenyou're flush your pride keeps / you from the pawn shop and / because you are continually commitings / nuisances but more / especially in your own house / Humanity i love you because you / are perpetually putting the secret of / life in your pants and forgetting / it's there and sitting down / on it / and because you are / always making poems in the lap / of death Humanity / i hate you
next to of course god america i / love you land of the pilgrims' and so forth oh / say can you see by the dawn's early my / country 'tis of centuries come and go / and are no more what of it we should worry / in every language even deafanddumbt / hy sons acclaim your glorious name by gorry / by jingo by gee by gosh by gum / why talk of beauty what could be more beaut / -iful than these heroic happy dead / who rushed like lions to the roaring slaughter / they did not stop to think they died instead / then shall the voice of liberty be mute?" / He spoke. And drank rapidly a glass of water

0 Reflections:
Post a Comment
<< Home