Thursday, June 07, 2007

On my way to Cadiz

9-days of Freedom: Some song on a CD Boy made me.
You. Soft and only, you. Lost in only you.

So I´ve finally arrived in Cadiz.

My voyage here was long (2 plane delays, 1 bus delay, and 1 freind - J - who tried to pick me up at the bus station but I didn´t get her text and beat her back to the apartment), but it wasn´t all bad. I watched Fight Club and fell in love with it again; I read from four different books and finished one; I wrote journal entries on the backs of increasingly useless itinerary print-outs; I watched Children of Men which is so entirely engrossing, despite its extremely simple plot, that whenever I woke up from my fitful plane-sleep, I was positive that the future of the world depended on me going BACK to sleep.

In Malaga I roomed with a girl from Melbourne, with whom I explored the castle gardens of Malaga on Tuesday morning. I ate 3 baguettes of jamon serrano before setting foot in Cadiz. And spent so much time on buses and in bus stations that I started making up stories about fellow travellers. For example, I saw a man whose exagerrated head and tiny, slim, well-dressed body reminded me of a statue or oil-painting I´m sure I´ve seen of some Spanish conqueror and am certain he is Pizzaro´s great-great-great (etc) grandson.

While driving into Cadiz there is a moment when the land is so thin it only holds the road; there is water and then city on your right and miles of ocean on your left. J and I are in an apartment in the outskirts of the main part of the city (about 30min walk, 10-15min bus ride), but we are 3 blocks from a magnificent beach (with v. cold waters. Dammit!) and from a Flamenco school, of which we took our first class yesterday (so far, Jenn´s better than I am). Today was the first day I really let myself relax, do absolutely nothing and enjoy the fact that I am no longer working. But soon I´ll start to explore the many churches and centuries-old buildings and statues in the center of the city.

That´s all for now. Only having internet once in awhile is soooo weird. Kisses.

1 Reflections:

Blogger Sherry said...

"there is a moment when the land is so thin it only holds the road" -what a beautiful description! i miss you, babe

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Daily Sustenance

Awaiting Consumption

Memorable Aliment